Gold is one of those metals, which is of high value in the jewelry industry. Gold is used extensively in making different types of jewelry. The purity of gold is something you have to be careful about when buying jewelry made from gold. You will have to know the karat of gold that you are buying to understand its purity. Karat is the unit denoting the purity of gold and it will be stamped on the piece of jewelry you buy.
24k gold is the purest one and is very expensive. However, gold in its purest form is not used in making jewelry pieces. This is because it is a soft metal and is prone to wear and tear. Hence, to make gold harder, stronger and durable it will be mixed with some other metals like copper, palladium, zinc, etc. The alloyed gold is available in various forms in the market. 10k, 14k, 18k, and 22k gold are the most common alloyed gold. Among these, 18k gold is the one, which is ideal for normal use.
18k gold keeps a balance of stability and purity and is hence preferred by many, over the gold of lower or higher karat number. There are so many benefits if you choose to buy 18k gold jewelry. 18k rose gold engagement rings are the best example of the sturdy feature of an 18k gold piece. Here are some advantages of buying 18 k gold jewelry.
- The 18k gold contains some amount of impurities in it, which makes it more robust.
- The metals used in alloying gold can cause allergy to the user. However, 18k gold is purer than many other lower karats gold and is hence more hypoallergenic.
- 18k gold is cheaper when compared to the higher karats gold which come in pure and bright colored form. 22k gold is a perfect example of this. Even though it is purer than 18k, it is soft and can get scratched easily. In addition, it is very expensive.
- 18k gold is efficient for daily use. Since the metal is hard and strong, it can be worn without any fear of getting scratched or broken. Hence, it is wise to use diamond bracelets and wedding rings made of 18k gold.
- It is very unlikely for the prongs to loosen even if an 18k ring brushes against a garment or any other object.
If you are planning to have an engagement ring, 18k rose gold engagement rings can be an ideal choice for you.